Granny’s Pineapple Whip – Pineapple Dream
This recipe is from an old magazine clipping that Lowell’s Grandma, Gladys Trenholm, passed on to us. It is at least 50 years old and is probably the top dessert ever for our family. It was originally called “Pineapple Whip”, but since there is a well known modern recipe that uses packaged whipping cream, we’ve decided to rename this one:
1-cup white sugar
19 oz. Can crushed Pineapple
Zest of 1 lemon or 1 tsp. or Lemon flavoring
1-cup cold water
1 pkg. Gelatin (7g)
1-½ cups whipping cream (3 cups whipped)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Boil sugar, Pineapple, and pulp for 10 minutes, remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, dissolve gelatin in cold water.
3. Add gelatin and water to hot mixture.
4. Cool, stirring occasionally until as thick as honey.
5. Chill cream, bowl and beaters.
6. Beat cream and vanilla, fold into cooled mixture.
7. Chill and serve.
Received by: Granny Trenholm (1911-2011)