Borscht (Beet Soup)
3 cups hot water
1 pound stewing beef Cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 medium carrots, sliced
1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, sliced
1 Tbs. Cider vinegar
1 stalk celery cut into chunks
1/2 cup sour cream
1 bay leaf
3 medium beets
1. 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, add water, beef, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, 2 sliced beets and 1 1/2 tsp. Salt.
2. Cover and simmer 2 hours.
3. Shred remaining beet and, with tomato paste, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt, stir into soup.
4. Cover again and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Add cabbage; cook 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
6. Serve in large soup plates or wide bowls, each portion garnished with some sour cream.
This recipe also works really well in the crock pot (slow cooker).